For Models: Maverick XDS Turbo (2015-2017)
1. Be sure the vehicle is parked on a level surface with the transmission in the park position, and the engine completely cooled down.
2. Loosen the clamps for the stock mufflers and remove the cotter pins from the top mounting hangers. Pull back and twist to remove the stock mufflers.
3. Remove the Rear and two side intercooler shrouds along with the turbocharger heat shield.
4. Remove the stock down pipe. Save the (3) 8mm nuts, you will need these with the installation of the 3 inch race pipe.
5. If installing only the slip on, move on to Installation. If installing the 3/4 system, or full system, continue to step 6 of removal.
6. Remove the bolts, springs, and spacers from the original catalytic converter pipe, then remove the pipe, being sure not to misplace the gaskets. These will be reused with your new exhaust system. If these gaskets are damaged, replace them with new OEM gaskets. Leaks at these joints can cause power loss and a check engine light.
7. If installing the 3/4 system, move on to Installation. If installing the full system, move on to step 8 of removal.
8. Remove the following parts to gain better access to the exhaust system:
8. Unplug the oxygen sensors from the vehicle wiring harness. There is one oxygen sensor in the front head pipe and one in the rear head pipe.
9. Remove the front and rear head pipes, being careful not to lose the gaskets from the exhaust ports in the cylinder heads. These tend to fall out when you remove the head pipes and can be lost in the engine compartment if you are not careful.
10. Remove the oxygen sensors from the original head pipes and set them aside. These will be reused in your HMF head pipes.
11. Remove the 4 studs from the bottom flange of the turbocharger. These will not be re used.
Full system install begin here:
1. Thoroughly clean the surface, then install the supplied, self adhesive heat shield square to the inside wall of the engine compartment, next to the flex joint, as shown. (See Figure #1)
2. Install the original oxygen sensors in the new HMF head pipes.
3. Slide the two heat shield clamps with stand offs over the front section of the front head pipe, then place the front section of the front head pipe in the engine compartment but do not install it onto the cylinder head yet. (See Figure 2)(See Figure #2)
4. Slide the T-bolt clamp over the rear section of the front head pipe, then install the rear section of the front head pipe so that the hanger slides into the rubber mount. (See Figure 3)(See Figure #3)
5. Be sure that the cylinder head to head pipe gasket is installed in the front exhaust port. While lining up the front head pipe with the exhaust port, slide the front section of the front head pipe into the rear section of the front head pipe.
6. Install the nuts onto the studs at the front head pipe flange, but do not tighten yet.
7. Install the heat shield onto the front head pipe using the supplied 6MM screws as shown. (See Figure 4)(See Figure #4)
8. Be sure that the cylinder head to head pipe gasket is installed in the rear exhaust port, then install the rear head pipe. Install the nuts onto the studs at the rear head pipe flange, but do not tighten yet.
9. Plug the Oxygen sensors into the vehicle wiring harness.
3/4 system install begin here:
1. Install the original donut gaskets onto the front and rear head pipes. If these gaskets are damaged, replace them with new OEM gaskets. Leaks at these joints can cause power loss and a check engine light.
2. Install the original steel gasket at the up pipe to turbocharger joint and install the up pipe using the original bolts, supplied washers, supplied springs, and the original spacers. Use the supplied allen head bolts at the up pipe to turbocharger joint. Do not tighten yet. (See Figure 5)(See Figure #5)
Slip on install begin here:
1. Be sure the original down pipe flange gasket is still on the turbocharger.
2. Slide the 3" Race Pipe over the studs on the turbocharger while aligning the hanger with the rubber gromet.(See Figure #6)
3. 3/4 and full systems only! Slide the turbo charger support bracket over the studs on the turbo charger outlet.(See Figure #7)
4. Install the original 8 mm nuts on the turbocharger studs and torque them to OEM Specifications.
5. Install the original turbo charger heat shield along with the rear and 2 side intercooler shrouds.
This completes Slip on installation. 3/4 and full system move on to step 5 of installation.
5. Before tightening the front head pipe flange nuts, push it down so that it touches the floor, then lift it up 1/2". With it held in this position, tighten the front head pipe flange nuts.
Tighten the following:
7. Recheck all hardware and inspect all areas around the exhaust system for proper clearance and alignment. Adjust as necessary. There are close tolerances in this exhaust system installation. HMF will NOT be held responsible for damage caused by improper installation.
8. Install the following:
Hook me up! Get $75 off your next exhaust order.
Sign up for the HMF Community and receive the following perks: