For Models: Maverick XDS Turbo (2015-2017)
NOTE: This is a difficult installation that should be completed by a skilled technician
1. Be sure the vehicle is parked on a level surface with the transmission in the park position, and that the engine is completely cooled down.
2. Remove the following parts to gain better access to the exhaust system:
3. Loosen the clamps on the original mufflers.
4. Remove the clips from the top muffler hangers.
5. Pull back and twist to remove the original mufflers.
6. Remove the 3 nuts from the down pipe at the turbocharger and remove the down pipe.
7. Remove the bolts, springs, and spacers from the original catalytic converter pipe, then remove the pipe, being sure not to misplace the gaskets. These will be reused with your new exhaust system. If these gaskets are damaged, replace them with new OEM gaskets. Leaks at these joints can cause power loss and a check engine light.
8. Unplug the oxygen sensors from the vehicle wiring harness. There is one oxygen sensor in the front head pipe and one in the rear head pipe.
9. Remove the front and rear head pipes, being careful not to lose the gaskets from the exhaust ports in the cylinder heads. These tend to fall out when you remove the head pipes and can be lost in the engine compartment if you are not careful.
10. Remove the oxygen sensors from the original head pipes and set them aside. These will be reused in your HMF head pipes.
11. Remove the 4 studs from the bottom flange of the turbocharger. These will not be re used.
1. Thoroughly clean the surface, then install the supplied, self adhesive heat shield square to the inside wall of the engine compartment, next to the flex joint, as shown. (See Figure #1)
2. Install the original oxygen sensors in the new HMF head pipes.
3. Slide the two heat shield clamps with stand offs over the front section of the front head pipe, then place the front section of the front head pipe in the engine compartment but do not install it onto the cylinder head yet. (See Figure 2)(See Figure #2)
4. Slide the T-bolt clamp over the rear section of the front head pipe, then install the rear section of the front head pipe so that the hanger slides into the rubber mount. (See Figure 3)(See Figure #3)
5. Be sure that the cylinder head to head pipe gasket is installed in the front exhaust port. While lining up the front head pipe with the exhaust port, slide the front section of the front head pipe into the rear section of the front head pipe.
6. Install the nuts onto the studs at the front head pipe flange, but do not tighten yet.
7. Install the heat shield onto the front head pipe using the supplied 6MM screws as shown. (See Figure 4)(See Figure #4)
8. Be sure that the cylinder head to head pipe gasket is installed in the rear exhaust port, then install the rear head pipe. Install the nuts onto the studs at the rear head pipe flange, but do not tighten yet.
9. Install the original donut gaskets onto the front and rear head pipes. If these gaskets are damaged, replace them with new OEM gaskets. Leaks at these joints can cause power loss and a check engine light.
10. Install the original steel gasket at the up pipe to turbocharger joint and install the up pipe using the original bolts, supplied washers, supplied springs, and the original spacers. Use the supplied allen head bolts at the up pipe to turbocharger joint. Do not tighten yet. (See Figure 5)(See Figure #5)
11. Be sure the original down pipe flange gasket is still on the turbocharger, then install the down pipe (or 3” race pipe).
12. Slide the turbo charger support bracket over the studs on the turbo charger outlet, then the three mounting nuts. Do not tighten yet. (See Figure 6)(See Figure #6)
13. Slide the T-bolt clamp(s) over the muffler inlet(s)
14. Slide the muffler(s) over the down pipe, lining up the mounting brackets with the hangers on the vehicle. Where applicable, use the supplied shoulder bolts, washers, and nuts at the top brackets.
15. Plug the Oxygen sensors into the vehicle wiring harness and replace any zip ties you may have cut during disassembly.
16. Before tightening the front head pipe flange nuts, push it down so that it touches the floor, then lift it up 1/2". With it held in this position, tighten the front head pipe flange nuts.
Tighten the following:
17. Set the original turbocharger heatshield in place and mount it using the original nuts and bolts.
18. Recheck all hardware and inspect all areas around the exhaust system for proper clearance and alignment. Adjust as necessary. There are close tolerances in this exhaust system installation. HMF will NOT be held responsible for damage caused by improper installation.
19. Install the following:
Hook me up! Get 10% off your next exhaust or equipment order.
Sign up for the HMF Community and receive the following perks: