For Models: Commander 1000 (2014-2020), Commander 800 (2014-2015)
!!! WARNING !!! Before working on your machine, make sure it is parked on a level surface with the transmission in park and/or the parking brake engaged. Do not work on any machine with a hot engine or exhaust. Allow time for all parts to cool in order to reduce the risk of burns.
Blackout Exhausts: Take care not to get grease or oils on the exhaust. Cleaning our Blackout exhaust with harsh solvents, abrasives, or pressure washers will remove the coating and is not covered under warranty.
1. Tilt the bed into the dump position and disconnect the tail light and differential lock wire harness connectors.
2. Disconnect the wiring harness from the frame of the vehicle for the taillights and differential lock. The wiring harness should now only be attached to the dump bed.
3. Brace the bed and remove the hitch clip and pivot pin for the bed strut. Move the strut out of the way or remove it from the vehicle by unbolting it at the lower mounting point. Carefully lower and relatch the bed.
4. Using a 13mm wrench remove the (4) bed pivot clamp nuts. Remove the aluminum dog-bone plates and remove the lower pivot clamp halves from each side.(See Figure #1)
5. With assistance from another person, unlatch the bed and remove it from the vehicle. Be careful not to lose the upper pivot clamp halves. Set the bed aside carefully, not to damage the wiring harness or pivot hardware.
6. Remove the cover/heatshield over the muffler.(See Figure #2)
7. Using a spring puller or long piece of wire/rope remove the (4) springs between the silencer and headpipe.
8. Remove the (2) silencer mounting bolts, save this hardware, it will be reused during installation.
9. Pull the original silencer up and out of its lower rubber mounts and remove the silencer from the machine being careful not to damage the donut gasket on the headpipe.
10. Inspect the donut gasket for wear or damage. Replace as needed with a new one.(See Figure #3)
1. Position the HMF silencer in the original exhaust’s location.
2. Using the original mounting nuts and bolts mount the HMF silencer to the original mounting location. Use the supplied (4) 5/16” Fender Washers on each side of the HMF silencer’s rubber mount bushings as shown.(See Figure #4)
3. Check the alignment of the HMF silencer’s inlet to the factory headpipe and donut gasket. If any adjustment is needed, loosen the silencer mounting hardware and the headpipes as needed until the silencer and donut gasket properly align.
4. Install the provided (2) Long Neck Springs to secure the HMF silencer to the headpipe.(See Figure #5)
5. Retighten all exhaust hardware.(See Figure #6)
6. With the help of another person place the dump bed back on the vehicle making sure the upper pivot clamp halves are placed over the bolts before the dump bed rests on the pivot pins.
7. Install the lower pivot clamp halves and dog-bone plates then install and tighten the original nuts.
8. Carefully unlatch the dump bed and tilt it back. Re-install the gas strut previously removed/disconnected.
9. Route the wiring harness for the dump bed back into its original position, secure as needed, and plug back into the vehicle.
Hook me up! Get 10% off your next exhaust or equipment order.
Sign up for the HMF Community and receive the following perks: